Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My 60th Birthday


I've had a wonderful weekend celebrating with family and really couldn't imagine a better birthday. To me, it seems that the celebrations started last August right after I realized the improvement in my new left knee. As I've said before, this has been a hectic year full of blessings and I am so grateful. My right knee still has days of simple muscle soreness, but that is nothing like the pain of arthritis with every step, and I can manage it easily with ice and a little of the forbidden ibuprofen.

In challenging me to commit to showing a collection of paintings within a year, JJ has actually given me the time to build the better quality of life that I've promised myself since retiring in 2003. I have to give him credit for finding an opportunity that I couldn't find for myself. George, Geoff, and Will sense it, as well, and are making the most of my birthday to support those efforts. George bought me a new bike tailored for use on the Swamp Rabbit Trail, one that I can transport without his help. Older son Geoff will help me make digital sense of whatever I accumulate into more usable data as I work toward showing some art of my own. Younger son Will is paying for two full months of painting lessons. I am so grateful to have their affirmation in such loving ways. And, unlike the years since 2003 when I've told myself I'll lose weight and exercise for health despite the obstacles I've experienced in the past, I don't feel that sense of failure at the outset. Their thoughtful support comes with challenges that encourage and motivate me both physically and mentally - they do know me so well.

I clank out the door for my walks with a digital camera, a digital voice recorder, a cell phone, my water bottle, medical information, emergency snack, my written instructions about observing the light and shadows, and sometimes even a hat. It's getting easier to take photos that might include my fellow walkers or their pets. No one else really seems concerned that I am taking pictures.

Two great stories about my fellow walkers earlier this week: First, a man passed me going north on the trail and again coming back to the south. He was on his cell phone both times, obviously checking with employees or colleagues about issues at work. On his return trip, I happened to be stopped taking photos and I could hear what he was saying as he approached. "Where am I? I'm just taking care of some business in Anderson this morning." He was a good 40 miles from Anderson at the time.

How many of my fellow walkers take a break from work or their other daily activities? I now realize that most use the trail in favorite areas, unlike my original plan to walk the entire length in short segments. How will my new bike meet my need to feel that I am going somewhere, not simply back and forth? I know it will be a great help as I return to areas to take additional photos.

The second story involves an adorable elderly couple I met as I returned to the parking lot on the edge of Furman's campus. They walked to what they thought was their car, identified by a Furman sticker on the back window. They did not realize until they tried to unlock the doors that this car was black and their's was white. Somehow this seemed like a valuable lesson to me in how people observe and use information as I try to make sense of clouds and shadows and color quality on any given day.

I'm giving my knees and feet a rest this morning but hope to take a short walk later to get photos in the afternoon sun. I do want something to work on Saturday when I go for my painting lesson.

No comments: