Tuesday, April 5, 2011

One Foot at a Time

About a year and a half ago, I realized my world was getting smaller and smaller, due to the combined effects of diabetes and reduced mobility from the deterioration in my knees. I’ve always been a risk taker and able to evaluate healthy levels of risk, so I decided to use those two strengths to push my boundaries back out. Despite the fact that I have never had an art class in my life, I decided to take painting lessons with two new friends, both accomplished artists. (JJ Ohlinger, www.ohlinger.com, and Darlene Fuhst, www.darlenefuhst.com.)

Last fall I finally realized it was time to replace both knees because I was no longer able to exercise and was beginning to lose control of blood sugar. After surgeries in August and November, I am now able to walk for as much as an hour and a half and my blood sugar is under the best control since I was diagnosed with diabetes seven years ago.

At my last lesson, JJ and Darlene surprised me with the news that they expect me to have Show and Tell within a year. JJ specifically suggested that I consider a series of paintings along Greenville’s wonderful Swamp Rabbit Trail because he knew that one of my goals following surgery was to finally be able to enjoy the trail for myself. The trail provides about 13 miles of paved trails for walkers, runners, and bikers, and will eventually find its way across the entire county.

JJ also says that the collection of paintings I show should reflect my love of story and my continuing journey to improve my health. Each piece should be accompanied by a brief narrative.

OK, I commit. Suddenly my life is about possibility again and I don’t want to take that for granted. I certainly don't see myself as an artist, but I never stop seeing myself as a learner and this offers possibilities.

I've walked two days on the trail this week and hope to write more about that later today. Those two brief trips - less than three miles total - have already taught me that I want to walk or bike the trail in its entirety. More to come as this adventure unfolds.

No comments: