Friday, April 3, 2009

New Arrival





Last night Darlene Fuhst sent us home with her painting Sanders Cafe. It now hangs proudly and beautifully in our kitchen / dining area.

We were introduced to Darlene's work last year through mutual friends and loved her contemporary style, her play with composition and pespective. As we talked over time, I mentioned that I would love to give my mother a painting as a housewarming gift when she moved to Greenville. I had an idea for something from Mom's past. My father was born and raised in Corbin, KY, and I knew that Mom and Dad ate at Colonel Sanders' (KFC) first restaurant owned on their wedding night. My dad grew up in the same church that Col. Sanders attended. While the story about starting KFC on his Social Security check is true, the Colonel never really mentioned that he owned and operated a very successful hotel in Corbin all his life.

Darlene offered to stop in Corbin while traveling last summer and take photos of the sign. It turned out to be a good one, neon and half-tembers, curved glass and sharp angles. She is so talented that the neon jumps right off the canvas. George and I sat in the back seat of our friends' car last night, swearing that we could see the glow in the dark.

Mom has decided to stay in Atlanta for a while and so she wants us to enjoy the painting in our own home. We are thrilled to do so.

If you have never seen Darlene's work, take a look at http://www.darlenefuhst.com/.

And come eat chicken and biscuits with us soon.

No comments: