Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Walking on Broken Glass

I used to think that Annie Lennox was singing about a love gone bad whenever I heard “Walking on Broken Glass.” Now, I’m pretty sure she’s singing about having bad knees.

While I was still working, I would find myself beside the car in the parking lot, not knowing if I could make it in to my office. This daily experience convinced me that it was time to actually retire, not simply change jobs from a kindergarten classroom to a college classroom.

If you can, imagine walking on your hands down the paved street. Only, not on your hands – think of walking on the middle joint of your fingers on the pavement. That’s the way my knees feel when I try to walk for exercise if the interventions my doctors provide aren’t up to date.
And, when I’m on any decline – no matter how slight - the pain increases tremendously even on my best days.

I’ve known that both need to be replaced for several years now, but I am determined to leave this earth with the same knees that came with me, if at all possible. I have a wonderful rheumatologist who recommended SynVisc injections before moving toward surgery. SynVisc provides an artificial cushion in the knees, giving up to six months relief from pain. My orthopedic surgeon urges me not to replace my knees as long as the SynVisc continues to work. I am fortunate that it seems to be more effective with each set of injections. Many people find the injections less effective over time.

I’m also lucky that a daily dose of Cymbalta manages much of my pain. Without it, I couldn’t walk across the room on any day without the use of my cane. There would be no way that I could manage a set of stairs or walking through a grocery store.

I am able to exercise daily, up to 45 minutes a day on the stationary bicycle and an additional 30 a day of resistance exercises. Whenever my knees are sore, I find that the exercise bike really eases the pain. I back off and just ride at a very leisurely pace under 10 mph. When things are good, I ride more quickly. I started this about 6 weeks ago and find that I have much greater mobility and comfort when I maintain my exercise.

And, of course, weight affects the way I feel tremendously. I’ve lost just short of 50 pounds, which means that my knees are relieved of about 200 pounds of pressure. I would love to lose another 60 pounds to provide the best insurance that my natural knees and I remain partners.
I am glad the option of knee replacement is available and, if I decide I need it, I will use it. Meanwhile, I can manage without too many problems. I won’t take a walk with you on rolling terrain and my taekwondo days are over. But, another 40 pounds off, and I’m going to see if I can manage riding lessons. I can always use the steps to get up to the saddle.

No comments: