Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Even Lance Started on a Tricycle

As part of building a healthier lifestyle, I’V started riding our stationary bike. It’s far easier on my knees than walking each day and, for some strange reason, I love to watch the number of calories and carbs I’m burning go up while I monitor my pace, miles per hour, and the total number of minutes I ride.

I’ve had to ride on resistance level 1. To tell the truth, I don’t even know how many levels of resistance there are on the bike – I don’t expect to see too many of them. I just pedal away at 10 to 11 mph on level 1, going nowhere and getting ahead at the same time.

Yesterday was a breakthrough, though. I decided to try the second level of resistance in three separate one minute intervals, five minutes apart. I watched every second of every one of those minutes and was so glad to see them finally end. But, I managed to do it. The third interval might as well have been a mountain stage in the Tour de France. I huffed and puffed, sweat pouring off me, and just sat on the bike resting for a full two minutes when my total time was up.

Last night I started planning on how and when I might actually tackle level 2 for TWO full minutes at a time – maybe next week. I’m getting ready to go out to the porch for my ride right now and am curious to see how those three intervals will feel today. It’s 10:00 AM and already 88 degrees with 45% humidity – more like the Tour de Death Valley. No matter, every rotation of the pedals brings me closer to that elusive thing called health.

One thing for sure, if I ever reach five minutes on resistance level 3, I’m buying myself a yellow jersey.

No comments: