Wednesday, July 22, 2009

New Wheels

Last Saturday George bought me a new bike, actually a new trike. Our chiropractor is a big cyclist and has been telling me for years that I needed a recumbent bike to compensate for the no-knee issue that prevents me from walking.

At a friend's suggestion, we visited Tandem, Touring, and Recumbent Bikes downtown. Pretty soon it was obvious that a trike was actually what I needed and, within a few minutes, I was out on the side street, testing those wings that I'd forgotten I had.

Today I took my first ride around the mall at Furman, under the giant oaks of their fifty year old "new" campus. I set a very limited goal for myself - build enough confidence in the coming month that I could ride five miles on flat terrain at a time. It's limited, but it's ambitious. I made it two miles today easily and could have done much more, but my bladder and I haven't adjusted to the posture of this new trike. Half as much coffee tomorrow morning.

George and I came back to the house to search out a way that I can transport the trike by myself, preferably on the back of my car. The back of the pickup is just too high. Seems like it's going to be easier than we thought. I should have a carrier within a couple of weeks, and then, watch out world! Savannah, I'm coming with a trike next time! Biltmore, close and bar the winery doors!

We also went kayaking on Sunday, something I haven't done in a year. We went almost nine miles and I had no trouble at all. In fact, I realized how much independence I've lost in enjoying physical activiites due to arthritis. Hopefully, I can regain it a little at a time and just enjoy some movement with friends and by myself.

George and I plan to take my maiden trip on the Swamp Rabbit Trail from the far side of Furman up to the Cafe @ Williams Hardware for lunch on Friday - if I can get a trike lock before then. He assures me that it's all downhill on the way back. Good - I can stash one of the Cafe's cocoa cookies with peanut butter and oatmeal in my new basket and have dessert.

No comments: