Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Refresher Course

I recently decided that our two-year-old Labradoodles needed a refresher course in who is in charge. It's going really well; my husband and I have remembered that we are supposed to be in charge and it's only been four weeks.

It's funny how one tune-up can lead me to recognize the need for another. I thought last week that I needed a refresher on how to get the most and the best out of my day and decided to write myself some guidelines. It was actually fairly easy to get a manageable number of things I was honestly committed to. Now, I look at them every morning with my first cup of coffee, just to get my eyes and mind open.

Here's the first one:
I will make better choices for my physical, emotional, spiritual, and financial health.

I think I need to begin simply by focusing on these things as health issues. They affect how I feel and manage. Depending on what I chose to do, I either end up empowered or depleted of energy.

One thing I've realized about myself is that I really don't have a lot of fear in my life. I've always looked at real fear as a source of energy, there to make me pay more attention to the situation around me. Consequently, I've been able to be a risk taker in a very healthy, productive way. The negative consequences I have experienced are ones I identified and was willing to accept at the outset.

But, anxiety seems to be a different issue for me lately, causing me just to ignore the issue that promts it. Sitting here as I wrtie, I can feel the physical reaction it causes: slight headache, distraction, acid in my throat and stomach. Gavin De Becker's book The Gift of Fear helped me realize the difference between worry and real fear when it first came out. It looks like I have some rereading to do.

My goal for today: Face one source of my anxiety and make at least three steps, no matter how small, to deal with the underlying issue.

No comments: